samaritan® PAD 500P Defibrillator
(Currently not available in the U.S.A.)
Regardless of whether it is a layperson or a professional rescuer, ERC Guidelines place a greater emphasis on the importance of effective CPR in increasing survival rates after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.
HeartSine® samaritan® PAD 500P defibrillator with CPR Advisor is the most innovative device available to support these guidelines, giving rescuers feedback on the effectiveness of their CPR efforts – in real time.
How It Works
CPR stands for Cardio (heart) Pulmonary (lung) Resuscitation. It is a combination of compressing the heart to circulate blood to all the vital organs and, at the same time, breathing into the victim to supply oxygen.
The 500P defibrillator provides the rescuer with real-time instructions regarding compressions with audible “Good Compressions” or “Push Harder,” “Push Faster” and “Push Slower.” This is also displayed on the face of the device in order to ensure the rescuer performs the most effective CPR.
An Impedance Cardiogram (ICG) is embedded in the software, which guides the user in the required force and speed of compressions for the victim. The ICG measures changes in the chest cavity, which determines effective CPR. Because the blood flow is related to how fast the compressions are applied, as well as how hard, the 500P can guide the user on both force and depth.
After being instructed to “begin CPR,” an audible beep for the appropriate cadence will help the rescuer keep time when performing compressions. The objective during CPR using the 500P is to hear “Good Compressions” and to see green on the CPR indicator.
Effective CPR Is Mission-Critical to the Survivability of the Victim
“In order to maintain high-quality CPR, feedback to rescuers is important. The use of prompt/feedback devices during CPR will enable immediate feedback to rescuers, and the data stored in rescue equipment can be used to monitor the quality of CPR performance and provide feedback to professional rescuers during debriefing sessions.”
ERC Guidelines 2010 – European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2010 Section 2. Adult basic life support and use of automated external defibrillators
“Among the most common mistakes made [during CPR] are not giving compressions deep enough and performing compressions too fast or too slow.”
CPR and AED Review Manual, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2005
“Many aspects of bystander CPR have been criticized. Many studies of the retention of knowledge and skills have demonstrated a rapid deterioration over a period of only a few months.”
Friesen L., Scotts N. Retention of basic cardiac life support content: the effect of two teaching methods. J Nurs Educ 1984;23(5):184-191
Other devices on the market offering feedback on CPR measure the force applied by compressions on an electro-mechanical device placed on the victim’s chest. These devices will give the feedback “Good Compressions” if enough force is being applied to a box placed on the chest. However, they do not take into consideration differing sizes of patients or differing heart positions, etc.
500P Portable AED Key Differentiators
- ICG-based CPR Advisor gives the rescuer feedback on compressions based on actual cardiac output: “Push Harder,” “Push Faster,” “Push Slower” or reassurance that they are performing “Good Compressions.”
- Compact and lightweight, 28–56% smaller than other portable AEDs on the market and weighing only 2.4 lbs./1.1kg.
- Easy to use. Audio and visual prompts guide the user step by step through the rescue process. Three large, easy-to-see icons illuminate: “Attach pads,” “Do not touch the patient,” and “It is safe to touch the patient” to facilitate the rescue process.
- Sophisticated SCOPE™ biphasic waveform technology adjusts patient impedance to maximize effective shock delivery.
- HeartSine’s practical Pad-Pak™ combines battery and electrodes into one cartridge – one date to monitor and only one item to replace on expiration or after use.
- 10-year warranty as standard clearly demonstrates the reliability of this quality defibrillator.
- Drop tested in accordance with IEC 60601-1.
- Field upgradable to the latest AHA/ERC guidelines.
- Automatic self-check.
- The 500P defibrillator has a rating of IP56, providing the highest level of protection from dust and moisture ingress.
- Suitable for adults and children.
- Controls and electrodes are accessible even with if the HeartSine samaritan PAD still in the case.
- Integrated metronome prompts the CPR chest compression rate.
- Events are recorded, with the time, date, ECG trace and duration, shock delivery information and CPR intervals. This information is downloadable to a PC with optional SAVER® EVO software.
- CE Marked.
How to Purchase
View 500P Product Brochure.